Hot links: The week in India retail property news
Publish Date: August 08, 2014
Here's a roundup of what regional news organizations in India are reporting about the local retail real estate business.
• DLF expects significant revenue from Noida mall — India TV DLF expects annual rental revenue from its DLF Mall, in Noida, to top RS200 crore [$32.8 million] when it opens early next year.
• Cinema competition heats up — The Times of India The acquisition of Satyam Cineplexes by Inox Leisure could heighten competition in the cinema sector.
• Dell India plans aggressive expansion — Technuter Dell India just opened its 250th Dell Exclusive Store, in Begaluru, but it's not taking a breather. The company plans to have 400 stores by March of next year.
• Samonsite expanding — Live Mint Luggage giant Samsonite expects to grow in India by acquiring local brands.
• Gov't urged to reduce retail land prices — Financial Chronicle Retail real estate industry leaders are urging the government to act to reduce land prices.
• Shoppers flock to L&T Realty's Chandigarh mall — Hindustan Times Several malls have opened in Chandigarh over the last few years, but Elante, which was opened last year by L&T Realty, might be the most popular.
• Housing pondered for Delhi shopping centres — The Times of India The Delhi Development Authority is considering adding residential space to various retail centres. Officials argue it will make good use of vacant space.
• Electronics makers in online crackdown — The Times of India Canon, Samsung, Sony and other large electronics manufacturers are trying to stop brick-and-mortar outlets in India from selling their products online at deep discounts.
• Online retail only tiny fraction of overall sales — The Irish Times Internet retail sales are on the rise in India. Sites such as Snapdeal and Flipkart and others are selling items for thousands of merchants across the country. However, analysts say that online shopping only accounts for less than one percent of India's $500 billion retail market.
• Major jewellery retailer opens in Pune — The Times of India International jewellery retailer Joyalukkas Group has opened a store in Pune on JM Road, near Deccan Gymkhanna.